Beta Readers Needed
Thank you to everyone who volunteered to Beta Read this book. I have received all volunteers and the Beta session is now closed. Stay tuned, as other opportunities to Beta Read will be upcoming! –Kristen
The first book in the Molly’s Tears series, Of the Ashes (synopsis below), is ready for a beta read round. To avoid confusion with my YA series, this is an adult contemporary romance with adult scenes, so volunteers must be 18 or over and also be aware that adult content is present. If you don’t like love scenes, please don’t volunteer as I don’t want to offend anyone .
If you do like adult romance novels and are interested in reading over the next three weeks or so (due date August 21) and providing your opinion on the novel, I’d love to have you on board. In exchange, you will receive a free digital copy of the novel when it’s published, in whatever format you prefer (just keep in mind that due to KDP regulations, formats other than Kindle will arrive 3 months later than Kindle formats). If we (those of us who own Sean Tigh Press) decide to publish paperback versions of this book, that format will be an option instead; however, at this point, we are undecided on doing anything more than eBook versions. We’ll let Beta Readers know which formats they can choose from closer to launch time.
You will also have your full name (unless you request otherwise) listed in the acknowledgments section of the book.
What’s needed for a good Beta Reader:
1. A good eye for errors. Although a professional content editor has gone through this manuscript, everyone misses things, so the more eyes the better. This doesn’t mean you have to catch everything (remember, everyone misses things and believe me, I don’t expect my Betas to be my editors), but I just request you have a decent enough grasp of English language and structure to catch obvious things the editing team may have overlooked.
2. Interest in Romance novels. If you don’t like contemporary romance novels, please don’t volunteer. I know it’s exciting to get advance reads on books, but you’ll have a hard time gauging the book if you don’t have a good understanding of the genre.
3. Ability to be honest. Okay, so before you say, “well, duh” it’s actually difficult for some people to be frank when dealing with an author directly. If you hate a scene, say so. If you think something doesn’t work, please let me know. If you don’t think the character is acting “true” to their personality, share it. The only thing I ask is you explain why in some short form or another and that you be polite about it. You won’t hurt my feelings and by being honest, you’re doing me a great favor. I’d rather have this feedback now, when I can fix what multiple people are saying is wrong, rather than in scathing one-star reviews after the book’s been published. For me, speed of launching a book is not nearly as important as quality. Readers will forgive delays a lot more easily than mistakes!
4. Don’t be offended. If I don’t take all of your suggestions, please don’t be offended when you read the final work or feel like your efforts weren’t appreciated. The reason authors have multiple Betas is to achieve a variety of opinions, and the “majority” typically rules. I promise, no matter what decision I make on your feedback, I consider each comment carefully and take it into strong consideration. Beta Readers have my utmost respect in this process!
5. Confidentiality. This probably doesn’t need to be said, but just in case…. As a Beta Reader, you’ll need to keep this book to yourself. Please don’t share it with family/friends and definitely not digitally with anyone or any source (remember: copyright laws prohibit this anyway). And please, please keep the details secret to avoid spoiling the book for anyone who has yet to read it. Reviews and telling people about it and that you’ve Beta read it are okay. It’s just sharing the actual book and details that can cause problems.
If you’re interested and can meet the deadline, please contact me through the contact form on this website or PM me through Twitter or Facebook. I will need your full name, names of a few romance authors you typically like, your email address and which format you prefer for Beta Reading. I can offer PDF or Word. The only request I have is that if you choose word, you please keep “track changes” on when you make edits. I am unable to go line by line to figure out what changes are made. With either PDF or Word, you may also make notes on a printed version and send back a scanned version to me. However, again, please ensure you make the notes obvious (commas in black pen among black type are easily overlooked).
Thanks again to all of my volunteers!
Micah Mitchell has worked most of his life for one goal — to build a career as a successful guitarist. Just when his dream comes true, an accident shatters his wrist, ending his ability to play. Lost and heartbroken, he fills his time with new projects, including decorating his empty house.
Recently fired from her position at an upscale design firm, Sandra Martin is unable to say no when Micah offers her a job. Despite her reservations, she soon learns she can do more for him than select paint and furniture. With the help of his friends, she guides him to reinvent the way he sees himself and find acceptance in his loss.
But when he wants to include her in his new life, will her own heartbreak keep her from finding happiness with him?
OF THE ASHES, the first novel in the Molly’s Tears contemporary romance series, knits complex, realistic characters into a modern plot. Focusing on imperfect people, it explores the importance of friendship and family, of struggle and loss, and of how others can teach us to live through trying times, to become better people, and to rise out of the fire, rebuilt from the ashes.
6 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
“Like” Kristen on Facebook
- Kristen Taber on Cover Reveal for Ærenden: The Gildonae Alliance
- dana on Cover Reveal for Ærenden: The Gildonae Alliance
- Sabine on Cover Reveal for Ærenden: The Gildonae Alliance
- Lisa J. Yarde on Cover Reveal for Ærenden: The Gildonae Alliance
- Martin Nicholas on Cover Reveal for Ærenden: The Gildonae Alliance